Launched by the High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, during the first Global Refugee Forum (December 2019) in Geneva, Switzerland, the MIRPS Support Platform is a mechanism to support responsibility-sharing on forced displacement in Central America and Mexico. It was set up to support the efforts of the seven MIRPS countries to offer protection, seek solutions and to mobilize support from other conventional and unconventional players in these efforts.
The MIRPS Support Platform is also supported by the Organization of American States (OAS) and UNHCR. In June 2020, the Government of Spain assumed the leadership of the MIRPS Support Platform as Chair for a period of one year. Having facilitated the adoption of a governance structure for the Platform, Spain will now provide leadership for the implementation of a workplan. The platform will seek to channel the support required by MIRPS countries to respond to the needs of over 890,000 people forced to flee from the northern Central America and Nicaragua.
Borne from the experience of the Friends of MIRPS Group, the Support Platform is currently composed by Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, the European Union, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay and the United States of America.
How can Platform members support the MIRPS:
- Provide technical support in one or more focus areas: Education, Jobs & Livelihoods, Strengthening the asylum system, Child protection, etc. based on the MIRPS national action plans.
- Analyze whether pledges made at the Global Refugee Forum can support the MIRPS.
- Provide financial support to MIRPS countries to cover financial gaps of the MIRPS national action plans.
- Help bring additional actors into the response through the Platform to broaden the support base.
- Become a MIRPS Ambassador and facilitate engagement with development actors.
- Map private sector actors within your country that can be engaged in supporting the MIRPS.
- Support the Cities of Solidarity initiative in the MIRPS Countries through twinning or ways of support to municipalities.
- Increase the number of resettlement places and complementary pathways such as education and private sponsorship programmes for asylum seekers and refugees from Central America.