1. Description of refugee situation
Where does the population of concern live?
Mostly in urban and rural settings.
Figures as of June 2020
Asylum Seekers - Urban/Rural - 5,800
Find live data, information and fact sheets on the refugee situation in Belize on the UNHCR Operational Portal as well as Global Focus.
2. Belize's response to the refugee situation
An overview of how the Government has structured its ability to respond to the refugee situation, with the support of partners.
In October 2017, the Government of Belize joined the Comprehensive Regional Protection and Solutions Framework (or MIRPS as it is called by its Spanish acronym), joining efforts to apply comprehensive responses in the Central American region.
This regional initiative brings together Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Panama, and Mexico to collaborate - with the support of the Organization of American States (OAS) and UNHCR - in the design and roll out of a joint response to forced displacement in the region.
At the national level, Belize’s national action plan for the MIRPS is guided and overseen by the National Technical Team, comprised of the Government the OAS, UNHCR and is coordinated by the Refugees Department, which also functions as Government’s MIRPS focal point.
An inter-departmental technical working group is currently active to enhance the planning, the costing and financing and the implementation of the plan’s activities. The working group provides technical inputs and recommendations to ensure that the MIRPS national plan is aligned with realities on the ground and the various national development efforts underway.
- Line Ministries: Ministry of Immigration; Ministry of Human Development; Ministry of Education; Ministry of Health; Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Economic Development
- Others: Organization of American States; Statistical Institute of Belize; National Institute for Culture and History
- UN Agencies: PAHO/ WHO, UNICEF, IOM, UNFPA, UNDP
- National NGOs: Help for Progress, Belize Red Cross, Humana People to People, the Human Rights Commission of Belize, Belize Network of NGOs
This is a quote module
- Filippo Grandi, High Commissioner for Refugees